Pumpkin soup for Halloween
This amazing carving was made by one of our Pastry chefs at Le Manoir as part of our pumpkin carving competition. A very easy soupfor Hallowe’en, and it has lots of richness and flavour. You can replace the pumpkin with butternut squash and should you wish you could serve this soup with a generous serving of crème fraiche. This soup can be prepared one day in advance.
|400g||Ripe pumpkin flesh, outer skin removed & diced 2cm|
|200g||Small onion, chopped finely|
|8 pinches||Sea salt|
|1 pinch||Freshly ground, white pepper|
|600ml||Whole milk (organic)|
- On medium heat, in a 25cm diameter saucepan, soften the onions in the butter for approximately 5 minutes without colouring.
- Add the diced pumpkin and soften for approximately 6-8 minutes (the softening with the butter will bring out the sweet flavour of the pumpkin). Stir from time to time. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the milk and bring to simmering point and simmer for 10 minutes (*1).
- Liquidize the soup until it reaches a smooth velvety consistency.
- Bring the soup back to the boil and serve in a large soup tureen.
- A nice helping of crème fraiche would add a touch of je ne sais quoi! Happy Hallowe’en!