Clafoutis is one of the great classics of family cuisine. Of course, my Mum created the best recipe, which is one of the best-sellers at Brasserie Blanc. Every household, every family should know this dessert. It is also easy to prepare. Your children, husband, wife and friends will love you 25 thousand times more for it. The clafoutis mix can be prepared one day in advance. Bake the clafoutis at the same time as you start the meal to ensure it is at just the right temperature when you want it; just warm is best.
|For marinating the fruit:|
|500g||Cherries, best quality fresh; stoned|
|1 tbsp||Caster sugar|
|1 tbsp||Kirsch (optional)|
|For lining the mould:|
|1 tbsp||Melted butter|
|3 tbsp||Caster sugar|
|For the batter mixture:|
|3||Whole eggs, medium organic|
|1||Egg yolk, medium (organic or free range)|
|6 tbsp||Caster sugar|
|6 drops||Vanilla essence, the best! (optional)|
|1||Lemon, Zest finely grated|
- Mix together the cherries, sugar and kirsch and marinate for 2 hours to maximize their flavour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Brush the inside of a round cast iron or china baking dish with melted butter. Add the caster sugar and shake the dish so as to coat the inside of the dish. This will give a lovely crust whilst cooking.
- In a mixing bowl add the flour and make a well in the middle. Add the eggs, caster sugar, vanilla essence and lemon zest to the well. With a whisk incorporate slowly the egg mixture into the flour until you have a smooth consistency.
- In a small saucepan heat the butter until it reaches a golden hazelnut colour and leave to cool. Slowly whisk in the milk followed by the cream and finally the butter.
- Mix the mixture with the cherries and their juices and pour up to ¾ high into the buttered and sugared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 – 35 minutes. The clafoutis is cooked when the blade of a knife inserted into the mixture comes out completely clean. To serve, sprinkle caster sugar over.